Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Lesson in Adaptability

Blogging is a new thing for me. And I already suck at it. I'm almost a week behind in updates, but I'll try to break it down based on memory and my journal entries.

I'm in India, and I hardly know which way is up right now. Well, I'm finally starting to get my bearings, but it's still overwhelming and fascinating and exciting every second I'm here.

The plan for this trip was to spend two months teaching at a school in the north Indian mountain town of Dehradun and then one month of traveling at will. As I said, that was the plan. Apparently, plans (and time) are fungible ideas in India. When I got off the plane in Delhi, a representative from the program I came through met me and informed me that instead of heading to Dehradun, I would be working at a magazine called First City in Delhi. Too tired to argue or discuss, I said ok and decided to make the best of it.

Friday I met the staff at the magazine, almost all women and all were very kind. The magazine is an English language arts and culture magazine about the city. Great magazine, but I still had my reservations about living and working in Delhi. On the one hand, it would be a fantastic opportunity to explore the city's modern culture. On the other, that's not really why I came on this trip. Still, I was getting over jetlag and after eating with the staff, I rested for the remainder of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home