Saturday, October 21, 2006


My Legacy as the Moose Lady

What was once my greatest bribing tool has now become the bane of my existence. On multiple occasions at the school, I've called upon my years of experience as a camp counselor at Adventure Unlimited. In an effort to get the boarding students to feel comfortable around me, I spent an evening teaching them silly songs and dancing, including the now infamous "Moose Song."

Then, much to the students amusement, I started teaching the song to fill the idle time in the classrooms that the students are often stuck with. I'm not sure how often they'll need to use the phrase "There was a moose full of juice on the loose," but hey, it's English, right?

The song has gained such popularity in the school that when some of the students see me, they smile, put their thumbs to their ears with their fingers spread wide and shriek, "Moose!" followed by giggles. When I walk into some classrooms, the sudents immediately plead, "Lindsey Ma'am, dance! Please!" So I started using it as a bribing tool. If you do this adverb exercise and write a paragraph about this story, we'll do the moose song. This worked quite well for awhile, but they have caught on to my scheme, and it no longer works. I now spend half of classtime fending off requests to sing and dance like a moose full of juice.

I am afraid that long after I'm gone, I will not be remembered as the American who taught them how to punctuate their sentences or why you should say "They are" rather than "They is," but as the lady who taught them that the moose liked to drink a lot of juice and even though he drank it with care, he still spilled it on his hair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home