Saturday, September 23, 2006

Reading the Indian Express

On my train ride from Delhi to Dehradun last week, I had the chance to catch up on my news with The Indian Express, one of the English language dailies. Here is a list of the articles that caught my eye:

1. 187 Mumbai Life Stories (one story each day about the people who died in the train explosions last summer) #62 Ramesh S. Kumavat, 32: This gament factory owner and his wife moved to the big, fast city of Mumbai from smaller villages in Rajasthan and started a family with two children. Although his wife, Shaweta, is illiterate, the railways offered her a job so that she could support her family, but her in-laws forbib her from getting a job. She can't make house payments or feed her children, and she said her in-laws kept all of the compensation money. Each day that I'm here, I am more and more fascinated and perplexed by the restrictions, roles and views of women in this country, as well as the way families operate.

2. Frenchman flying a kite with camera creates flutter in Kalpakkam: Simply because of the way the paper used the word flutter--"he created quite a flutter with his actions." You just wouldn't see such words in an American paper, but I think we should use "flutter" in daily speech more often.

3. Anti-thin Spain bans five models: Five models were banned from a Madrid fashion show because they were underweight, an action which created quite a flutter (see, it works well) in New York and Milan. Along with the roles women play in culture, I've been thinking and observing how beauty is perceived in different cultures and countries. Many of the most beautiful women, models and actresses here aren't twigs.

4. India Open Marathon: Perhaps I should have entered the half-marathon. My best time would have placed third, although on second thought, I'm sure the hot and humid conditions and extreme pollution (as well as the fact that I'm horribly out of shape) would have tacked on several minutes or possibly hours.

5. An Indian Love Story: An 18--year-old Muslim woman from London ran away to Ghazibad to marry a Hindu man after their three year Internet love affair. The wedding of India's version of Romeo and Juliet was attended by 1,000 people and telecast live.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home