Saturday, September 30, 2006

Sorry, My Dance Card is Full

We all know I've never been much of a clubber. It's just never been my scene. I have decided, however, that if the clubs in New York played Hindi pop music, I would be there every night of the week. When you hear it, you just can't help but smile, shake your hips, put your hands up and shrug your shoulders.

Last Saturday, we had a party for all of the boarding students, which was especially exciting for the girls with boyfriends since interacting with the opposite sex is extremely limited outside of classtime. (These rules are relaxed for the party.) All the students were there from the five-year-olds to the seventeen-year-olds, but for the first hour or so, the party resembled your first junior high dance where the girls stay on their side dancing with eachother and the boys on theirs, some dancing, most just watching the girls.

Actually, the first to cross the gender line was my favorite eight-year-old Nepali, Shaswat, and he came to dance with yours truly. This brought about five or six more of his buddies over. I'm quite popular with boys in the five- to ten-year-old range. Soon everyone mingled, but it was pretty much Bollywood G-rated, which made me smile at their adorable innocence as I remembered the obscene grinding that used to occur at my own school dances.

You can bet I'll be coming home with some fabulous new Hindi Pop CDs. You're all welcome to borrow them any time. And if you have any CDs you'd like to get rid of, I'm thinking of taking up a collection for the kids at the Carman School. When it comes to Western music, the kids are way too crazy about the Backstreet Boys. We need to broaden their horizons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home