Thursday, November 09, 2006


The Burdens of Pretty People

Despite its majestic mountains, beautiful beaches and holy temples, India's most fascinating and telling sights are its people. Women in beautiful sarees, religious wanderers, lamas, fruit sellers, and children with hollow eyes. I always get a little shy though about taking pictures of people who I think are captivating because they're simply living their lives--going to the market, washing clothes, playing with their children. I always feel invasive so I end up with more scenery shots than those with people, even though the people are are where my true interest lies.

Indian tourists, however, have no problem making me the main attraction once in awhile. I thought I was being conceited when I felt that I was being singled out for photographs, but I think I might get more than my fair share of photo ops, and I have a few theories about why. Even when I'm in heavily touristed areas, I get picked out for photos by Indian tourists more than others. It's true, I swear. First, the obvious reason, is that I'm alone, thus I am more approachable. But there are many other people flying solo, too. Second, my dazzling smile and stunning good looks (obviously), especially when it's been three days since my last shower (please note the sarcasm with number two).

Finally, and what I think is the kicker, is that they have me confused with Alice Patten, star of Rang de Basanti. She plays Sue, a British woman who comes to India to make a documentary about the political activity among the country's youth. All the children and teachers at Carman School think I look like her and took to calling me Sue. One child even wrote an fecicious essay about me. The topic was "The person I admire the most" and he called me Sue Ma'm throughout the essay.

I posted her picture here. Personally, I think the only similarity in looks that we have is that we're both white, but perhaps that's the connection the children were making. Anyway, I think the Indian tourists who wasted a few snaps on me standing with their children and wives and holding their babies also mistook me for the movie star. I expect the paparazzi to start following me soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home