Friday, November 10, 2006

No Wardrobe Malfunctions in this Half-Time Show

I've been introduced to several new sports during my time in India, most notably cricket and badminton. Carman recently hosted the Dehradun Interschool Badminton Championships, and it was quite the event. Carman took second to Whellam Girls, one of the premier girls' schools in India. We were definitely the underdogs as I looked at our girls out their in their wrinkled school uniforms and generic Ked sneakers while the Whellam girls had sharp looking sports outfits and brand new, matching Nikes.

Badminton can get rather intense on the court, but the audience is quite civilized, not like the rowdy football and basketball games I remember from my high school days. Spectators of badminton are like those of golf; you politely clap exactly seven times after each point.

My favorite part of the whole event was the half-time (well, in between match) show. A group of our junior students performed a Punjabi dance, and while I have great respect for the girls who were on the dance team at my high school, I have a feeling that these eight-year-old Indian girls can shake their hips and twirl circles around those girls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home